Land of the Morning Calm

Land of the Morning Calm
Haeundae Beach

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ooops...

I have been majorly slacking on these posts. This is mostly because I have been focusing on my work more and spending time outside of work less. Recently, as I have become more comfortable with teaching, I have been inspecting how and what I teach and figuring out ways to improve. I have come up with some good ideas for next semester that may improve my teaching and help the students more. I sincerely hope that I get to stay in Middleschool because I have gotten to the point where I am okay at teaching it, I think.

Also, I have gotten more involved recently which has kept me busy. I have always wished I was better at speaking and specifically public speaking. A coworker recommended Toastmaster's and Jess (another coworker) and I checked it out. Boy, am I glad I did. Not only was it clear that the way the meetings are structured really helps you grow and improve your speaking, but it was clear that the members are all really supportive and really love being in the club. I have met a lot of really interesting, kind people as a result of trying something new, and I'm loving it. This coming week I get to do a book review which I am enthralled about but also slightly nervous. I feel that I could really change my life by learning how to communicate and connect to those around me better.

Additionally, I have been volunteering in a local foreign school in a first grade classroom which has been amazing. The teacher I am helping is such an accepting sweetheart and has made me feel welcome and the kids are a blast. Additionally, the teacher has been letting me know about foreign school job opportunities and other things about living in Busan. I am handing my resume into the school's vice principal just in case they are still hiring...

There have recently been a lot of changes at the school where I am working which has also kept me busy and on my toes. Some of the changes are good, and some are bad...But I think overall I will continue to enjoy my experience here in Busan.

I just want to say that recently I have been hit by homesickness. I miss my wonderful, albeit silly, family and I worry about missing out on parts of their lives. Because of the difficulty in scheduling a time to talk with them because we are all so busy, I don't talk to them nearly as much as I would like. While I see many opportunities here in Korea to gain teaching experience and set my life going in the right direction...the fact that any long term commitment would keep me away from them hurts my heart. Clearly the solution is for you all to move to South Korea. Okay? Great.

That also goes for my friends back in the states. I wish I could say with certainty that I am coming back to you guys for good, soon...

Anyway, I am looking forward to this weekend especially because we are getting paid, I get to see my friends at Toastmaster's and talk about I book I like, and on Sunday I am going to go on a picnic with my coworkers. :)

I hope you all are finding happiness and are loving life like I am. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment